Learning the laws regulating the use of firearms is a must for responsible gun ownership. Local regulations differ, and laws vary from state to state. It is the responsibility of you as a citizen to check with the jurisdiction where the firearm is to be used to make sure you are following each and every firearm regulation within that jurisdiction.
The Sheriff and his staff are required to follow strict State guidelines when performing the necessary background checks to issue a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). Due to these requirements, acquiring appointments and processing times can take multiple weeks.
The application must be submitted to the Sheriff of the County (or City and County) in which the applicant resides or to the Sheriff of the County (or City and County) in which the applicant maintains a secondary residence or owns or leases real property used by the applicant in a business.
During the application process, you will be asked to schedule an appointment (for New applications only). Please note that you will be asked to pay now to reserve this appointment.
- For a NEW CHP, you will be asked to schedule fingerprint/photo appointment.
- If you are applying for a CHP RENEWAL, you may not apply until 120 days prior to the expiration date shown on your current CHP.
- LATE RENEWAL per State Law, applications can be accepted up to 6 months after the expiration date shown on the current CHP. (If your permit is more than 6 months expired, you must apply with a NEW application, including submission of a valid training certificate, an appointment for fingerprints/photo, and all the applicable fees for a NEW permit.)
- If your CHP is lost, stolen or destroyed, you must contact the agency where the permit was issued within 3 business days and fill out the form available on this site.
|Type of Permit
|New CHP - Active Military
Must provide proof
|Renew CHP - Active Military
Must provide proof
|Late Renewal (within 6 months)
|Replacement - Lost/Destroyed/Stolen Permit
- A nominal transaction fee will be charged by the State for each credit card transaction, in addition to a $4.00 service charge for the electronic application. (Charges are viewable prior to completion of the transaction.)
- Fingerprinting is required for a NEW Concealed Handgun Permit. Appointments for fingerprinting are available Tuesdays and Thursdays, excluding legal holidays.
- Click the appropriate button on the left of the screen to proceed with a NEW or RENEWAL application for a Concealed Handgun Permit (or other tasks as noted).
Please note that this website is optimized for IE 9.0 and higher, Safari, Chrome and Firefox.
Concealed Handgun Permit Information